In the spirit of Valentine’s Day and love, we thought it only appropriate to list some of our favorite romantic destinations around Ireland that you can visit. Not only that, but did you know Ireland has a connection to St. Valentine? In fact, the remains of St. Valentine can be found right in central Dublin at Whitefriar Street Church, just off busy Grafton Street, and it is said that those seeking their true match may find some divine intervention here. Keep reading for some romantic ideas for your next trip to Ireland!
- Spanish Arch, Galway. While the charm of “Galway Girls” is immortalized in the popular Steve Earle song, the city is often said to be “the most Irish” town on the island. The Spanish Arch and the Caoċ Arch in Galway are two remaining arches on the Ceann an Bhalla. Built in 1584 the arch stands on the left bank of the River Corrib. Stop for a photo and then relax along the river for a bit before setting off to explore the city more.
- The Cliffs of Moher, Co. Clare. It doesn’t get more romantic than dramatic sea cliffs overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, are we right? The Cliffs of Moher are a must-stop while in Ireland and in fact, they are Ireland’s most visited tourist attraction. If you prefer a less crowded vantage point, the coastline on the way to the charming village of Doolin provides a few great spots to view “The Cliffs”.
- Slieve League, Donegal. Keeping with our dramatic destinations by the sea theme, Slieve League in Donegal is also not to be missed! The mountain offers incredible ocean views and is one of the highest sea cliffs in the world. From the top, you can also see the Sligo Mountains and the Donegal Bay! For the more adventurous, take the five mile or so walk along the ridge-line where a charming pub awaits you.
- Glendalough, Wicklow. This glacial valley in County Wicklow oozes romance and beauty with every turn. ‘The Valley of Two Lakes’ has spectacular scenery, history and an array of wildlife.
- Aran Islands. Sometimes that most romantic destination is one that is away from the hustle and bustle. That’s exactly what you’ll get when visiting the Aran Islands, located just off of Galway and Doolin. They are only accessible by ferry or small flight and you’ll feel as if you’ve stepped back in time when you step off the boat/plane.
- Kinsale, Co. Cork. If you’re looking for a cute town for a romantic getaway with your special someone, look no further! Kinsale is a marvelous Cork harbor town dotted with colorful houses and many delicious restaurants with fresh seafood.
- Bubble Domes. These Forest Domes features 180 degree views of Finn Lough in Northern Ireland. The transparent walls allow you to fully immerse yourself in your surroundings and escape the noise of the outside world. Imagine the stargazing opportunities!
Looking to design a romantic getaway with your love to Ireland? Look no further! We can create bespoke vacations that suit your every wish.